Sunday, February 10, 2008

Tim Horton and polar bears...

Brilliant knits in Iceland... if you like Fair Isle! (I don't...).

I can't say I agree with you re. wanting the 9 months of "real snow". But - maybe that makes you a true Canadian! Check out the Far North in Canada (or else Alaska, I suppose, if you want to remain Murcan).

One caveat - if you go TOO far north they do not sell such things as pringles, diet coke, etc locally and one must order in sufficient quantity every six months or so at great expense.

Anyway, you might want to check out this issue of Walrus Magazine before you think about moving North. It was quite interesting reading... but solidified my desire for warm temps. If you catch me bitching about the humidity in the summer, please come north of the border and slap me hard.

I think my fingers have thawed well enough to return to my "phallic" Secret of the Stole II:



(Phallic?!?! What was up with that?! Perhaps a trip to Toronto to check out the yarn shops would be therapeutic? What say you?!)

And guess what - there is now a museum dedicated to Tim Horton! It is located in Cochrane, Ontario - his birthplace.

Come to think of it, given your desire for colder climes, it might be a good idea for you to make a pilgrimage to Cochrane, which is located here:



In other words, northeast of Timmins (named after Tim as well? Hmmm) - which is as far north as I have been, and only in the summertime.

Wikipedia says that Cochrane Town contains many references to polar bears. Its mascot is a large polar bear statue known as Chimo. There are also live polar bears at the new "Polar Bear Conservation and Educational Habitat and Heritage Village" which opened in the summer of 2004.

Sounds like it's right up snow-mad alley! What say you?

No comments: